Currently listening to: Colonies – New Skin
As every other blogger will tell you, the day after Labor Day is the start of fall in the bloggosphere. Everywhere you look, from Instagram to Facebook, I’m already seeing my east coast friends chugging down pumpkin spiced lattés and dusting off their warm sweaters and jackets. Yet here in Los Angeles, it’s been hovering around a sweltering 97 degrees for several days. While sunny LA has its awesome pros, it also has some definite cons. And for me, one of these significant cons is the lack of autumn weather. In fact, September and early October tend to be the warmest times of the year. So while the mall shops are pushing what look like the comfiest of comfy coats and scarves, my car is still blasting the AC and the idea of wearing opaque tights instead of sandals is well into the future.
But what if one wants to still incorporate some fall trends without suffering from heatstroke in the process? I think it is still possible to sport autumnal wears sans the obvious coats, sweaters, tights, and boots. Dare I say, in Los Angeles, sandals are still very much appropriate in September. After having spent four falls (going on five) in Los Angeles, I’ve observed and developed some fall wardrobe tips for when your autumn couldn’t be further from infinity scarves, beanies, and pumpkin spice everything.
- You can still wear a sweater! – Light layering sweaters and cardigans over summer dresses
2. Follow the leaves! – Neutrals and warm colors
3. Cover up – Maxi skirts & dresses
4. Keep it simple with staples – black jeans, cuffed shorts, chambray, flats
5. Swing swing – Long sleeve swing and tent dresses with boots
6. Play peek-a-boo – Sheer layering pieces and non-opaque tights / nylons
7. Top it off – Add a dark hat
So there you have it; fall fashion in LA. Best of luck staying cool my fellow Los Angelenos!0